Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Forgive and Forget

for⋅give /fərˈgɪv/
1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
3. to grant pardon to (a person).
4. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.

for⋅get /fərˈgɛt/
1. to cease or fail to remember; be unable to recall: to forget someone's name.
2. to omit or neglect unintentionally: I forgot to shut the window before leaving.
3. to leave behind unintentionally; neglect to take: to forget one's keys.
4. to omit mentioning; leave unnoticed.
5. to fail to think of; take no note of.
6. to neglect willfully; disregard or slight.

I wish that the phrase "forgive and forget" was really that simple. Sure it sounds easy, just forget it, no big deal...but what happens when it is a big deal? Unfortunately I'm not a quick person to forgive another person and I hate that about myself...especially if I feel like I've been unecessarily wronged. I'm not saying that it never happens, just not easily. I've been holding on to a pain that I need to let go. I need to really and truely forgive this person. Fine sure, I can say it a million times " I forgive you"...but then the wheels in my head start turning and remembering what happened to cause the pain and the bitterness returns becuase I just can't forget. I have no clue how God can forgive us and forget our offenses immediatly. I simply can't put into words how in awe I am of that. This one thing in particular is a major struggle in my life. I think I'm finally at a point in my life where I'm tired of carrying this around and am really ready to turn it over 100%...I've only been holding on to it for...almost 12 years now...? This is something that I know I need to do...but how to do it is becoming a problem. I have a letter that has been written to this person explaining how I feel. However, it was written 4 years ago. Do I give them the letter anyways so they understand the hurt? Or just tell them I forgive them and move on? I need God's help in this majorly.

Forgive and forget...I'm trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment